Lester Lane among those inducted into Basketball Hall of Fame
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Former Oklahoma basketball coach Lester Lane was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday along with his teammates on the 1960 U.S. Olympic team.
NewsOK Related Articles
Lane was born in Purcell in 1932 and was named coach at OU in 1973. He died of a heart attack a short time later while playing in a pick-up game and never coached a game with the Sooners.
Lane was on the 1960 Olympic team that won the gold medal. Others on the team included Oscar Robinson, Walt Bellamy, Jerry West and Jerry Lucas.
That group of college players went 8-0 in Rome, winning by 42.4 points per game.
"I played on, I think, the greatest amateur team that ever played," West said.
"Not a day goes by that I don't think about those days. The greatest thrill of my life was to win a gold medal, not to win an NBA championship."
Also inducted Friday was the 1992 "Dream Team" which also won Olympic gold.
Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley were among those on the 1992 team, which had some eye-popping stats: 117.3 points per game, a victory margin of 43.8 per game.
"That was probably one thing that we never got credit for," said Barkley. "It's easy to sit there and say you're going to win every game by 40 or 50 points, but we went out and actually did it."
Dream Teamers Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen also were inducted as individuals.
"Think about it. To go in as a player and as a team... it's just awesome," Malone said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister