Let allies spend their own money for their protection
Recently I watched an interview with U.S. Rep. J. Randy Forbes, R-Va., chairman of the Subcommittee on Readiness of the House Committee on Armed Services. When discussing the proposed budget cuts for the Department of Defense, Forbes said he was concerned because our allies were forced to start spending money on their own defense because they didn't have faith in America to protect them in the future. This country currently spends more on our defense than the next 15 nations combined.
NewsOK Related Articles
I fully support committing funds for the protection of this country, but I fail to see the problem with our allies spending their money for their protection. If we're truly committed to doing the right thing, let's bring our soldiers back from the last two failed attempts of nation-building and put them to work for the Department of Homeland Security. This way we can improve our defense and provide job opportunities for those who have given so much.
Donald D. Meyer, Oklahoma City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit