'Let's be careful out there' in tree stands
Hunters should exercise caution when handling firearms and getting in and out of tree stands
NewsOK Related Articles
Oklahoma's Deer Gun Season
Dates: Nov. 17-Dec. 2
Six important safety tips
— Never point your firearm at something you do not intend to shoot.
— Assume every firearm is loaded.
— Always be sure of your target and what is on the other side of it.
— Wear a full body harness, not only when you are in a stand but also when climbing in and out of it.
— Use a haul line to lift your unloaded gun or bow into the stand or when lowering it to the ground.
— Inspect your stand before each use.
“It was just one of them deals where I thought, honestly, I don't need one,” Cocannouer said. “I had the mentality it would never happen to me.”
Cocannouer fractured a disc in his lower back from the 19-foot fall.
“Even to this day, it hurts on a daily basis,” he said.
Cocannouer knows he was lucky. He could have landed on his head. Or he could have landed on a fence post, as he was hunting a food plot that had a fence around it.
Fortunately, his bow was hanging in the tree stand and he was not holding it during the fall or he might have landed on an arrow.
And he was hunting with a friend, another important safety tip. Had he been hunting alone, who knows when he would have been found. His cellphone had bounced out of his pocket away from his reach.
“I tried to stand up but couldn't,” he said.
Cocannouer's hunting buddy helped get him to the truck and to a hospital. Now, Cocannouer never gets in a tree stand without a safety harness.
“I make everyone I hunt with put one on,” he said.
The Wildlife Department posted a series of videos on YouTube to show hunters the proper way to use safety harnesses.
“We made our own video because the ones that we could find elsewhere would simply tell you, but not show you how to do it,” Meek said. “It's easier said than done, but worth it when you hear about some tree stand accidents.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates