Letter of the month winner: Bill Walker, of Yukon
Each month, The Oklahoman's editorial board recognizes a contributor to Your Views for a letter to the editor that exemplifies a timely, fair, accurate and cogent viewpoint. Bill Walker, of Yukon, is the honoree for letters that appeared in Your Views last month. His “Behavioral problems” letter was published Nov. 5.
NewsOK Related Articles
Meet the writer:
Walker grew up in Temple, Texas, and graduated from North Texas State University with a degree in business administration. He retired from the finance department of AT&T in Oklahoma City. He and his wife, Claudia, have lived in Yukon since 1984. They have three grown children and one granddaughter who attends the University of Chicago.
The release of report cards giving grades on the performance of Oklahoma schools does nothing more than confirm what we already knew and offers no solutions. Some schools aren't successful in providing a basic education. In some districts, half of the schools got a D or worse. To remedy the situation we must start with the failing elementary schools. If these students aren't learning the “Three Rs,” they won't be prepared to handle subjects at a higher level.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say