Letter of the Month winner: Carla Nickles, of Midwest City
Each month, The Oklahoman's editorial board recognizes a contributor to Your Views for a letter to the editor that exemplifies a timely, fair, accurate and cogent viewpoint. Carla Nickles, of Midwest City, is the honoree for letters that appeared in Your Views last month. Her "Time to heal" letter was published Dec. 29.
Meet the writer:
Carla Campbell Nickles grew up in Nicoma Park and graduated from Choctaw High School. Since 2006, she's worked as an intellectual property assistant at the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation. Nickles and her husband, Brian, live in Midwest City with their two sons; a grown daughter lives in Bixby. She has done volunteer work promoting organ and tissue donation. She attends Nicoma Park First Baptist Church, where she sings in the choir. One of Nickles' sons died in a car accident when he was 17.
As I stood at my son's grave to check on the Christmas tree I bought him, I couldn't help but think of those lives cut short in Newtown, Conn. My heart ached for the families, knowing the utter despair they'll feel for months and years. This isn't about gun control, whether you're for or against it. As a mother who has lost a son, I would be peeved that people who have no idea what it's like to lose a child make my son's death about anything political or to further their own agenda.
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash