Letter of the Month winner: Jim Spears, Oklahoma City
Each month, The Oklahoman's editorial board recognizes a contributor to Your Views for a letter to the editor that exemplifies a timely, fair, accurate and cogent viewpoint. Jim Spears of Oklahoma City is the honoree for letters that appeared in Your Views last month. His “Overtaxed reaction” letter was published May 27.
Meet the writer:
Jim Spears is a native of Oklahoma City and graduate of Central High School. Spears, 79, said his letter was prompted by rhetoric he's heard about raising taxes on the wealthy and his observation that the wealthy will do everything they can to avoid paying higher taxes. Prior to his retirement, Spears drove a city bus. Spears has two children, and he and his wife, Kathy, have four grandchildren.
The Obama administration wants wealthy people to pay their “fair” share. “Fair” hasn't been defined by him or anyone in his administration. However, we know it translates to paying more earned money to the federal government. Let's explore how wealthy people react to confiscatory taxes.
One Facebook executive had dual citizenship in this country and another country. Anticipating the initial public offering of Facebook, he renounced his U.S. citizenship. This move enabled him to avoid paying capital gains taxes to the United States. That was more than $50 million our government was unable to put into the treasury.
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers