Leverkusen, Moenchengladbach draw 1-1 in Germany
BERLIN (AP) — Borussia Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen made a string of saves to secure a 1-1 draw for his side at Bayer Leverkusen in the Bundesliga on Sunday.
The teams produced an average of 4.5 goals a game from their previous eight league meetings, and another free-scoring game was on the cards when Patrick Herrmann scored in the third minute and Michal Kadlec equalized for Leverkusen nine minutes later.
Andre Schuerrle should have scored the winner in the 70th from the penalty spot, but the Leverkusen striker struck the post.
"It's a huge pity and I'm sorry for the fans," said Schuerrle. "We had our best game of the season and were clearly superior."
Schuerrle also had the best chance of the first half, with Ter Stegen forcing his Germany teammate to shoot wide when he only had the 'keeper to beat.
"We have to be very happy with the point (as) we had a lot of luck today. We fought but there is still a huge amount to do," said Moenchengladbach coach Lucien Favre.
Hoffenheim secured its first points of the season with a 3-1 win over Hannover and Stuttgart drew 2-2 at Werder Bremen in Sunday's late games.
Hannover took the lead in Hoffenheim in the 26th, when the unfortunate Matthieu Delpierre's attempted headed clearance flew past his own goalkeeper.
But Fabian Johnson equalized in the next minute with a fine individual effort, flicking the ball past U.S. teammate Steve Cherundolo with his heel before scoring from an acute angle.
The home side pressed hard for the lead and finally made the breakthrough in the 82nd through Sejad Salihovic, before Daniel Williams wrapped up the win in injury time.
"This is not the Hannover of the last few weeks," said goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler after his side's first loss of the season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 64206Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14590Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8849Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6802How to help tornado victims
- 6783Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6409Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6168Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes