Li Na defeats Julia Cohen of US in China
SHENZHEN, China (AP) — Top-seeded Li Na advanced to the Shenzhen Open quarterfinals with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Julia Cohen of the United States in the second round on Wednesday.
The Chinese star overcame five double faults and struggled with her serve during the 94-minute match.
Li will play eighth-seeded Bojana Jovanovski of Serbia.
No. 2-seeded Marion Bartoli also advanced by defeating Swiss qualifier Stefanie Voegele 7-5, 6-4. Bartoli will take on fifth-seeded Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic for a place in the semifinals.
China's Zhou Yi-miao, ranked 177, completed the quarterfinals lineup with a 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 (3) win over Taiwan's Chang Kai-chen. Romania's Monica Niculescu, who ousted No. 7-seeded Laura Robson in the first round, will take on Zhou on Thursday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad