Life sentence for man in Oklahoma mall shooting
MUSKOGEE (AP) — A man convicted in the shooting death of a teenager at a Muskogee mall has been sentenced to life in prison with parole.
The sentence was imposed Wednesday on 22-year-old Dondray Fowler. Fowler was convicted in July of first-degree murder in the 2010 shooting death of 17-year-old Jarrod Reed at Arrowhead Mall.
Online court records in Muskogee County show that Fowler was also sentenced to 30 years in prison on convictions of assault with a deadly weapon. The sentences are to run consecutively, or one after the other.
Prosecutors say Fowler intentionally shot Reed and wounded four others at the mall.
Fowler's attorneys claim the shooting was in self-defense because Fowler was intimidated during an argument between rival gangs.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims