Lincecum a Giants reliever for now against Reds
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Tim Lincecum is a reliever for the time being, two years after he pitched the Giants' Game 5 World Series clincher at Texas.
The struggling two-time NL Cy Young Award winner pitched two innings out of the bullpen for San Francisco in Game 2 of the NL division series against the Cincinnati Reds on Sunday night. His team trailed 1-0 after losing Saturday's opener 5-2.
Manager Bruce Bochy named right-hander Ryan Vogelsong his Game 3 starter for Tuesday in Cincinnati — and Bochy said he already picked a pitcher for a potential Game 4. He wouldn't say whether the Giants would turn to Matt Cain on three days' rest but said an announcement on the tentative plan could come by late Sunday.
"My reaction is I know what to prepare for now," said Lincecum, who went through pregame work with the relievers. "I'll go in with that mindset today and whatever they want me to do. That's really all I can do. I don't make up the lineup. As much as I'd like to start, I don't have that say. He's the one making the decisions. That's what he's there for and I'm all for that."
Lincecum is the franchise leader in wins for a single postseason with four from 2010.
He went 10-15 with a 5.18 ERA and 190 strikeouts in his sixth major league season. The losses were a career high.
Lincecum started Game 5 of the 2010 NL championship series then pitched in relief in Game 6 following a day off. Otherwise, the right-hander has rarely been a reliever — just once in April 2008. Bochy planned to use him in long relief if the situation called for him, preferably at the start of a fresh inning.
He pitched the sixth and seventh innings Sunday, allowing one hit and striking out two. He pumped his fist after striking out Ryan Hanigan to end the sixth.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates