Little All-City football: Austin Brooks makes right throw at right time for OCS
LITTLE ALL-CITY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR — Austin Brooks tossed 54 touchdown passes for Oklahoma Christian School this season, but none bigger than the last one in the fourth quarter of the Class 2A state championship game against Davis.
Photoview all 28 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Brooks was aided by a talented stable of receivers and an OCS offensive line that allowed just five quarterback sacks on the season. Turner said what impressed him most about his quarterback this season was Brooks' composure in the pocket.
“As many times as we throw the ball (Brooks was 203 of 301 through the air with 12 interceptions this season), it takes a lot to stand back there and have guys coming at you all the time,” Turner said. “He did a great job. He has a great touch on the ball but he can also rifle it in there.”
OCS coaches knew they wanted Brooks as a quarterback when they first saw him pitch for the Saints' baseball team.
“We had seen him play baseball and we knew what he could do on the mound and how he wants the ball in his hand,” Turner said. “He wants to command the game.”
Brooks now has several small college recruiters talking to him about playing both football and baseball at their schools.
“I am interested in playing both (in college),” Brooks said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 28939Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 26978Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5000Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say