Local control-of-smoking bill to get hearing in Oklahoma Legislature
The measure, after being bottled up by a Senate committee chairman this session, has been reassigned to another committee and is to get a hearing Monday.
A bill that would let Oklahoma cities and towns craft their own anti-smoking laws will be heard next week after being stalled by a Senate committee chairman the first two weeks of this year's session.
Senate Bill 36, which would change state law and allow cities to pass their own smoke-free ordinances, has been reassigned to the Senate General Government Committee. Sen. Greg Treat, R-Oklahoma City, has placed the bill on his committee's agenda, which will be taken up at 10:30 a.m. Monday.
The bill had been sent to the Senate Health and Human Services committee. Sen. Brian Crain, R-Tulsa, the committee's chairman, said earlier this week he would not grant it a hearing. He refused to hold a hearing for a similar measure last year. He didn't ask for SB 36 to be reassigned.
“I would imagine that was done by the (Senate) pro tem or at the pro tem's direction,” Crain said. “It is within the pro tem's prerogative to do that, and I'm going to support the pro tem. We'll see what happens.”
Gov. Mary Fallin in her State of the State speech last week to lawmakers urged them to pass legislation restoring local control to cities and towns regarding tobacco use in public places.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates