Lon Kruger led Illinois to Cinderella run
Lon Kruger's basketball teams have the reputation for playing hard regardless of circumstances. That was never more evident than his third season at Illinois.
Videoview all videos
Jul 15Berry Tramel and Damon Fontenot explore Kruger's chances...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The lowest seed in the Big Ten Tournament, Illinois upset three nationally ranked teams to reach the finals.
"He got players to buy into the last-chance motivation," said Rod Cardinal, Illinois' trainer for nearly 30 years. "We went on a miraculous run."
Losing five senior starters off a team that tied for the Big Ten title, Kruger faced a rebuilding year in 1998-99.
Illinois finished 3-13 in league play. The Illini were 11-17 heading into the Big Ten Tournament.
The next four days are legendary in Champaign.
Illinois jumped to a 33-11 lead to upset No. 23-ranked Minnesota in the opening round.
In the quarterfinals, the Illini dominated No. 17 Indiana, 82-66.
In the semifinals, Illinois upset No. 11 Ohio State, which would play in the Final Four. After the game, Buckeyes coach Jim O'Brien called Illinois the best last-place team in America.
"It's something you never forget," said former Illini player Cory Bradford, who has played the past 11 years overseas. "No one expected us to do anything. Coach Kruger always found a way to motivate you."
Illini fans knew it was a bridge season. A heralded class of Brian Cook, Frank Williams and Marcus Griffin would arrive the following year to start an eight-year run that included four Big Ten titles and a Final Four appearance under Bill Self and Bruce Weber.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 83313Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 56374Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33323Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23846Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 23231Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8483Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8265Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters