Lon Kruger was heavily involved in Las Vegas community
UNLV senior associate athletic director D.J. Allen, who wrote a book with Lon Kruger, “The X's and O's of Success: A Playbook for Leaders in Business and Life,” said the Runnin' Rebels coach was everywhere his seven seasons in Las Vegas.
Videoview all videos
Jul 15Berry Tramel and Damon Fontenot explore Kruger's chances...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“He is a marketing and community outreach machine,” Allen said. “He uses the power of his position and takes it seriously to help other people and other organizations.”
The list community activities Kruger and his wife, Barbara, were involved with in Las Vegas included:
Nevada Health Department.
Clinics for middle school coaches.
Education awareness (reading).
Wellness, fitness programs.
Bridget Phillips, a former principal who works with 350 schools in the Las Vegas area, said the list doesn't include all of the Krugers' endeavors.
“They embraced our community,” Phillips said. “That's what was so heartwarming and powerful. He was such a dynamic community member who wanted to make a difference, especially with children.
“Whether it was getting involved with an eating-right and exercise program, staying in school, coaching clinics, contests where classes with the best grades got to go to (UNLV) games or serving on our advisory committee ... I could go on and on. He did so much for students and teachers.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 20835Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17666Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12055Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10703Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9067Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8577Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8462Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments