Oklahoma basketball: Lon Kruger will keep letting players determine their spots
Players determine their spots. If Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger has said it once — well, let's just say he's said that every time he's been asked if he's going to change the Sooners' starting lineup.
Players determine their spots.
If Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger has said it once — well, let's just say he's said that every time he's been asked if he's going to change the Sooners' starting lineup.
And he's been asked before almost every one of Oklahoma's 10 games this season.
The lineup is always this: two seniors, one junior, two freshman. Check. Those are the players who have determined the starting spots.
Yet after the loss to Stephen F. Austin, many fans are looking for ways to solve Kruger's physicality — or losing — problem.
Bring C.J. Cole and D.J. Bennett out of their redshirt years, some say. Switch freshman starting guard Isaiah Cousins with veteran starting guard Sam Grooms, others have recommended. Do this. Do that.
Here's what Lon Kruger is most likely going to do. He's going to keep letting the players determine their spots.
He's going to make them learn to be physical and learn from losses to teams like Stephen F. Austin, a loss that left his players frustrated and eager to improve.
Oklahoma lost a nonconference game Tuesday for the first time in 36 home contests. Losses happen, but the 56-55 loss to Stephen F. Austin wasn't surprising. When the Sooners practice well and physical, they come out like they did against Texas A&M.
The loss to SFA was a byproduct of the lackadaisical practice on Monday in which the players were lethargic and sloppy.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11312Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5665Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5178Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4351Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4349OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4135How to help tornado victims