Lon Kruger's Florida team bonded on trip to Australia
Team chemistry is a trademark for Lon Kruger teams. Giving him a head start produced the most memorable season of his distinguished career.
Months before Florida made an unexpected run to the 1994 Final Four, the Gators played summer exhibition games for two weeks in Australia.
Videoview all videos
Jul 15Berry Tramel and Damon Fontenot explore Kruger's chances...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“That's when it all started,” said Craig Brown, a senior guard on the '94 team. “We really rolled into preseason with some momentum.”
Coming off a 16-12 season that ended with a first-round NIT loss, national analysts didn't forecast big things for the Gators.
Bolstered by momentum gained during the summer, Florida started the season 14-2.
The Gators finally cracked the national polls in late January. They tied for the SEC East regular-season title and finished as the runner-up in the SEC Tournament.
“We didn't have any superstars or McDonald's All-Americans,” Brown said. “We were just a bunch of guys committed to playing tough, hard defense. We believed in the coaching staff. After we got back (from Australia), we knew we had a chance to have a special season.”
Orlando Magic media relations director Joel Glass was the basketball sports information director when Kruger was at Florida.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 81135Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32459Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction