Share “Lone Grove families honor those lost to storm”

Lone Grove families honor those lost to storm

By RON JACKSON Modified: February 16, 2009 at 12:33 pm •  Published: February 15, 2009
LONE GROVE — Thirteen-year-old Kaylee Fambrough squeezed her mother’s hand in the bathroom of their home Tuesday until a tornado snatched her mom from her grasp and this life.

Fambrough’s parents – Susan "Gail” and William "Vincent” Fambrough — were found within 20 minutes lying dead in a field of debris.

Stephen McCord, the Fambroughs’ son-in-law, made the gruesome discovery amid a maze of popping and flashing power lines, and then frantically began searching for his sister-in-law.

Miraculously, neighbors found Kaylee alive. She landed some 300 feet from where her trailer home once stood at 61 Peach Road, with only minor cuts and bruises.

"That girl is lucky to be alive,” Stephen McCord said.

‘Can’t ask why’
Families of the eight tornado victims have all been left to ponder the fate of the tragic event. They have done so while grieving, in shock, and shouldered with the burden of planning their loved ones’ burials.

Nearly all admit the reality has yet to penetrate the numbness. And peace of mind remains elusive.

Melva Morgan of Healdton can’t help but think about her grandson’s final act before being killed. Trevor William Kelii Morgan called his grandmother to see if she was safe.

"I told him my cellar door was open, and that I was fine,” recalled Morgan, 83. "If I hadn’t, he would’ve been here with me. Why? Why Lord? Why Lord?”

Morgan caught herself from speaking further. Finally, she broke the silence by somberly adding, "But we can’t ask why.”

Trevor Morgan was 30. He was the youngest of the eight victims.

Mary and Earnest Nevill mourned the loss of their son, Tim, from their hospital beds at Mercy Memorial Health Center in Ardmore. Earnest could barely speak about his son’s death. He was choked by grief.

All three family members were in their trailer home when the storm descended on them in a sea of blackness. Violent winds sucked Earnest through the front door, prompting Tim to run down the hall to call 911. Suddenly, everything went black. The trailer then exploded.

That was the last time anyone saw Tim alive.

"I kept yelling his name, but he never answered,” Mary Nevill tearfully moaned.

Tim Nevill, 36, dreamed of farming his family’s 10-acre lot, and had planned to clear the land the next morning.

"He never got to fulfill his dream,” said Mark Nevill, Tim’s 39-year-old brother. has disabled the comments for this article.


  1. 1
    Oregon pot stores sell more than $11 million in first 5 days
  2. 2
    Sigourney Weaver turns 66: Then and now
  3. 3
    Not Sucking in Their Seventies: Rock Lifers Go the Distance
  4. 4
    Explosions rock north Tulsa residential area
  5. 5
    Claremore hospital fires doctor who authorities say threatened officer after DUI arrest
+ show more


× Trending news Article