Los Angeles Dodgers assistant trainer Greg Harrel talks maintenance programs, warm-ups
Q&A — The 49-year-old Cashion native is about to begin his second season as an assistant athletic trainer for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Videoview all videos
Jan 24The Oklahoman's Bryan Painter catches up with Los Angeles...
Jan 24The Oklahoman's Bryan Painter catches up Los Angeles...
Photoview all photos
It's important to have their bodies ready for what they're going to do. If you're a fan and you come to our games and you get there early enough to see the players stretch before batting practice or before the game, what a lot of people don't realize is that even if they're out there doing that on the field there's an active warm-up, people call it different things, that's been done by most players inside the weight room and inside the conditioning center. There they are doing stuff to get their blood flowing before they go out on the field. What you see on the field should be pretty good, because most of those guys have done something before they even go out there.
On a typical day, like a 7 o'clock game at home last year, I was typically at the field by 11:30 (a.m.), sometimes earlier. Some of that is to do some of my personal stuff but we have players that show up as early as 12:30 for a 7 o'clock game. A lot of times the guys who are injured or have something going on feel a commitment and they're there earlier than we even tell them to be. That happens quite often.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates