Luther's Justin Wilson is Linemen King
LITTLE ALL-CITY DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR — Some colleges might be missing out on a 6-foot-1, 325-pound powerlifting champion. Luther coach Scott O'Hara said Wilson is one of the best he's seen.
Videoview all videos
Dec 30Ryan Aber talks with Sterling Shepard, Oklahoman...
Photoview all 25 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
What about his endurance, you ask?
O'Hara saw it personified in a game against Stroud this season.
A two-way player for the Lions, Wilson blocked for the offense on a 15-play drive that ended with a turnover on downs.
Stroud marched back down the field on a 12-play drive, concluding when Wilson tackled the quarterback for a loss on a fourth-down play inside the Luther 5-yard line.
“Twenty-seven straight plays, and he didn't come off the field once,” O'Hara said. “Then he made the tackle to keep them from scoring.”
Colleges have been slow to come around, primarily because he's only 6-foot-1.
“They say I'm a tad-bit short,” Wilson said. “But if they think that holds me back, they're missing out.”
O'Hara hopes Wilson's football skills will show through and earn him an opportunity.
“If he's 6-3, it's not an issue,” the coach said. “He uses his hands better than any high school kid I've ever been around. He has quick feet, and he's fast — that's the thing a lot of coaches like.”
Tulsa and Ohio each made in-person visits to see him before the season and extended offers. Emporia State (Kan.) and Northeaster Oklahoma A&M Junior College are also pursuing him.
“I've talked to a lot of good programs,” Wilson said. “It feels like it's a little slow right now, but it'll be all right. I'm just looking for a shot.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33271Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24362Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6895OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6548Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4476OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4156Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3398Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater