Mack Brown says upside-down 'Hook 'Em Horns' is disrespectful
OU FOOTBALL — The way opponents like Oklahoma use Texas ‘Hook ‘Em Horns' symbol is disrespectful and something the Big 12 Conference should discuss, according to Longhorns coach Mack Brown. His comment came in response to a direct question about the gesture Monday.
Videoview all videos
Nov 5The Sooners senior quarterback steos up to the podium to...
Nov 5OU's head coach learns of Brennan Clay's alter ego, Toby,...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“Oh yeah, definitely running out onto the field,” Washington said. “Definitely when we get back to our bench but you can't do it when you're out on the field because after you make a big play like that, you don't want it taken back just because you threw the horns down. Whatever.”
Oklahoma defensive coordinator Mike Stoops said he wouldn't hold it against his players if they flashed the upside-down horns.
“I think if I did it it'd be a little immature and foolish, but, you know, they're just having fun,” Stoops said. “They're not trying to disrespect anybody.
“Certainly he's entitled to his opinion. I don't think it's personal, but, obviously, maybe they're taking it that way. I don't think it's a big deal.”
When a media member added that Brown implied that the upside-down horns should be a penalty, Stoops paused.
“Really? If they tell us it's a penalty, we'll tell (the players) not to do it. I've got bigger things to worry about,” said Stoops, who is preparing the Sooner defense for Saturday's game against Baylor.
“We got bigger issues, especially this week.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister