The kids are back in school, so the folks at the Made in Oklahoma Coalition offered some recipes to ensure they get to school with a good breakfast chock full of local flavor.
Sausage-Egg Biscuit Casserole
1 (6-ounce) package Shawnee Mills Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
1 cup Hiland milk, divided
½ teaspoon fresh
1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
6 sausage patties from one bag of frozen Country Cousin Pork Sausage Patties
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or Jack cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1. Combine biscuit mix with one-half cup milk, rosemary and parsley. Mix just until combined.
2. Place mixture on a floured surface and knead just until a soft dough is formed. With a rolling pin, roll into a rectangle.
3. Place dough in a greased 11-by-7-inch dish. Press into bottom of the pan.
4. Warm sausage according to package directions. Once heated through, place sausage patties over the biscuit dough. Top with cheese.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with one-half cup milk, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage and cheese.
6. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove cover, and bake another 10 minutes until hot and bubbling.
Bacon Maple Rolls
10 slices Bar-S Fully Cooked Bacon
1 package Shawnee Mills Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
½ cup Hiland milk
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup Griffin's Original Syrup
1. Cook the bacon in microwave. Crumble, then set aside.
2. Stir together the biscuit mix and milk to form a soft dough. Knead the dough until smooth.
3. On a floured surface, roll out into a rectangle.
4. In a small bowl, combine bacon, brown sugar and cheese. Sprinkle onto dough, leaving a one-inch border.
5. Roll dough and pinch edges to seal. Cut into 12 slices.
6. Place slices on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. In a preheated 375-degree oven, bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
7. Remove from baking sheet and drizzle with warm Griffin's syrup.
Granola and Greek Yogurt Parfait
To make granola:
4 tablespoons Griffin's syrup
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Griffin's vanilla
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
½ cup pecan halves or sliced almonds
¼ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup mixed dried fruit, diced
¼ cup dried cranberries
1. Combine syrup, vegetable oil and vanilla in a small bowl. Heat on high in microwave for one minute, stirring halfway through.
2. In a medium bowl, combine oats, nuts, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and dried fruit.
3. Pour the syrup mixture into the oat mixture, stirring to combine.
4. Pour mixture onto a rimmed cookie sheet or roasting pan.
5. In a preheated 350-degree oven, bake for 30 to 35 minutes, turning halfway through, until lightly browned.
6. Turn out onto a sheet of aluminum foil, and cool completely.
2 cups plain Hiland Greek yogurt
2 cups fresh berries
4 tablespoons honey
1. In a glass or ramekin, spoon in two tablespoons yogurt.
2. Spoon two tablespoons granola on top of yogurt.
3. Spoon fruit on top of granola.
4. Drizzle honey on top of each parfait.