Madrid defender Vieira faces traffic prosecution
MADRID (AP) — Marcelo Vieira has joined a growing list of Real Madrid players caught driving recklessly and is in danger of doing jail time if found guilty.
Last week Karim Benzema was caught driving at 216 kph in an area where the speed limit is 100 kph, while teammate Michael Essien was stopped while driving at 140 kph.
The 24-year-old Vieira was caught while driving with no points on his license, according to Spain's traffic directorate Wednesday, and faces a possible sentence of six months in jail.
The incident occurred on Feb. 12 when the defender failed to heed a yield sign. When police stopped the vehicle, they discovered that Vieira had already lost all his points in other driving incidents and now faces prosecution.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley