‘Magic numbers' tell the tale of OKC Thunder's playoff hopes
NewsOK Related Articles
THUNDER MAGIC NUMBERS
To win the Northwest Division:
9 – Denver Nuggets (42-29)
8 – Portland Trail Blazers (40-30)
3 – Utah Jazz (36-35)
To clinch a playoff spot:
5 – Phoenix Suns (35-33)
4 – Houston Rockets (37-34)
3 – Utah Jazz (36-35)
Note: Does not include Tuesday's results
The Western Conference currently has a three-way race for ninth place among Phoenix (35-33), Houston (37-34) and Utah (36-35).
The Thunder's magic number for the playoffs: five against Phoenix (83-45-33=5); four against Houston (83-45-34=4); three against Utah (83-45-35=3).
If two competing teams play head-to-head, the magic number either remains the same or is reduced by two. So if the Thunder beats the Jazz tonight, it would reduce the magic number to one against Utah. A win would also give OKC a 3-1 season series advantage, thus a win in the playoff head-to-head tiebreaker and eliminate the Jazz.
In the Northwest Division, the Thunder is trying to beat out Denver (42-29), Portland (40-30) and Utah.
The Thunder's magic number for the division title is nine against Denver (83-45-29=9); eight against Portland (83-45-30=8); three against Utah (83-45-35=3).
Thunder coach Scott Brooks said his team's magic number is one, and will continue to be one – as in one game at a time.
"We don't really talk about it," reserve guard Eric Maynor said of the magic number. "Some of us are always on the Internet and stuff like that and we always know, but that's not one thing we talk about."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 43037Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15155Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9718Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8776Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8708Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7875Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7675Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena