‘Magic numbers' tell the tale of OKC Thunder's playoff hopes
All-Stars Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook are familiar with the term "magic number," but they have no idea what that number is at the moment for the Thunder.
NewsOK Related Articles
THUNDER MAGIC NUMBERS
To win the Northwest Division:
9 – Denver Nuggets (42-29)
8 – Portland Trail Blazers (40-30)
3 – Utah Jazz (36-35)
To clinch a playoff spot:
5 – Phoenix Suns (35-33)
4 – Houston Rockets (37-34)
3 – Utah Jazz (36-35)
Note: Does not include Tuesday's results
"I was waiting for you all to tell me," a smiling Durant said to reporters after Tuesday's practice.
To clinch a playoff spot, the Thunder's magic number was five against Phoenix, which had a late game Tuesday at the Los Angeles Lakers.
To clinch the Northwest Division crown, the Thunder's magic number was nine against Denver.
"I don't even know how that stuff goes," Westbrook said. "I just know if you continue to win, it's good."
The Thunder plays Utah at 7 p.m. Wednesday inside Oklahoma City Arena and with a victory officially would eliminate the Jazz as a potential threat for a playoff spot or winning the Northwest Division crown.
A magic number indicates how close a team is to clinching a playoff spot or regular-season title. It represents the total number of wins for the front-running team, losses by the opposing team in question or a combination of both.
Here is the magic number formula: Total games + 1 – wins by Team A – losses by Team B.
The plus 1 added to the number of games eliminates potential ties.
The number of regular-season NBA games is 82 (+1). Team A is the Thunder, which has a 45-24 record. Team B would be the team the Thunder is trying to beat out.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 19121Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6569Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6311OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5835Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4411Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4396Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater