Maher among 5 Huskers walk-ons put on scholarship
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska coach Bo Pelini has announced he's put five walk-on players on scholarship for this year.
The players are kicker-punter Brett Maher, offensive linemen Spencer Long, Seung Hoon Choi and Justin Jackson and safety Justin Blatchford. All five attended high schools in the state.
Pelini said Saturday that there were other worthy candidates for scholarships, but he was limited to giving only five.
Maher was Big Ten kicker of the year last season after making 19 of 23 field goals and averaging 44.5 yards on punts.
Long was a full-time starter and Choi a part-time starter last season. Jackson is competing for playing time at center. Blatchford was a regular in nickel and dime packages.
Pelini also said freshman linebacker Jared Afalava has been cleared academically to join the team.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort