Maine Sen. Collins' voting streak approaches 5,000
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Sen. Susan Collins has gone to great lengths to preserve her unbroken voting streak in Washington.
On one occasion, it meant deplaning from a commercial flight to race back to Capitol Hill. Another time, she twisted her ankle as she scampered down marble hallways to the Senate floor with moments to spare. She even scheduled her upcoming wedding for the August recess, just to be safe.
The Maine Republican has never missed a vote since taking office in January 1997 — a record that evokes comparisons to baseball great Cal Ripken. This week, she expects to make her 5,000th consecutive vote.
She says her voting record resonates with Mainers.
"It demonstrates to my constituents my unwavering commitment to my job. I also think the people of Maine have a great work ethic and that they relate to it. They're very diligent about showing up for work and meeting their obligations. They're happy that I feel the same way," Collins said.
Among sitting senators, only Republican Chuck Grassley of Iowa has a longer voting streak, having cast 6,444 consecutive votes dating back to 1993, when he missed votes to join President Bill Clinton in touring flood damage in Iowa. Grassley said his voting record shows he's "not horsing around" while he's in Washington but, unlike Collins, he can't claim that he never missed a vote. Collins' record stood at 4,997 votes as the Senate prepared to reconvene.
Impressive as their records are, Grassley and Collins pale in comparison with the Senate's record holder, Wisconsin Democrat William Proxmire, who had 10,252 consecutive votes from April 20, 1966, to Oct. 18, 1988.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 96583Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17286OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13078Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8797Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8670Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8388How to help tornado victims
- 7627Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort