H: ° L: °,
Major bridge in Oklahoma City to reopen on turnpike
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Officials say the Lake Hefner flyover bridge will reopen Saturday on the Kilpatrick Turnpike in Oklahoma City.
The bridge has been closed since October as crews rebuilt a support structure. The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority says the project finished up 36 days ahead of schedule. Officials had initially planned for a 90-day closure.
The bridge carries an estimated 8,500 motorists per day from westbound Kilpatrick Turnpike onto southbound Lake Hefner Parkway.
The closure is part of a larger project to widen the Kilpatrick Turnpike by adding one lane in each direction. The project is scheduled to be completed this spring.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister