Malibu homeowners struggle with beach-saving plan

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 31, 2013 at 2:07 pm •  Published: March 31, 2013
Advertisement
;

For years, Broad Beach was the subject of feuding between homeowners and the public over access. At one point, security guards were hired to patrol the beach, and sunbathers contended they were harassed.

In 2005, 108 property owners took tons of sand from the public beach and packed it up into a berm on their property. The work was ordered halted by the California Coastal Commission.

When the commission permitted residents to build the $4 million wall, it ordered residents to come up with a stabilization plan that must take effect by 2015.

Homeowners said they have spent about $5 million so far for scientific studies and regulatory approvals but they have not yet completed a formal proposal for the coastal and state lands commissions.

"We have faced a bureaucratic nightmare in attempting to accomplish this project," said Marshall Grossman, a lawyer with a retreat on Broad Beach. "One would think we were attempting to build high-rise condos on a public beach."

Even if Broad Beach residents get their sand, such erosion-fighting measures are going to remain an issue in the future.

"As sea level rises, it's only going to get more challenging to figure how to deal with that," said Charles Lester, the coastal commission's executive director.

___

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com