Man charged in killings of 2 women in Missouri
Police began trailing Richardson and arrested him late Saturday morning. Niemeier said Richardson confessed to the "intimate details of the crime" and that he didn't know the victims beforehand.
Sparks, 40, was found dead Oct. 4, 2011, on the far northeast side of Kansas City, and Reed, 24, was found Aug. 21 in rural Kearney, northeast of Kansas City. Both bodies were in spots where they could easily be seen, with their pants pulled down and shirts pulled up.
Both women were last seen on St. John Avenue near Independence Avenue in northeast Kansas City, where they worked as prostitutes, police said.
Earlier this month, police said a third woman, who lived on the same street where Sparks and Reed were last seen, was found dumped in late 2011 along the side of a road in Caldwell County, southeast of Cameron. She survived. But authorities didn't say Saturday if her case was connected.
"We have a tremendous amount of follow-up to do now that we have answered some of our own questions," Niemeier said, adding that it "feels good when you can tell a victim's family that their case has been resolved."
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater