Man City held to 1-1 draw by Stoke in EPL
STOKE, England (AP) — Stoke withstood late pressure to hold Manchester City to a 1-1 draw in the Premier League on Saturday, with Asmir Begovic making a late save and Ryan Shawcross clearing off the line to make sure the defending champion dropped points for the second time this season.
Peter Crouch gave Stoke the lead when he beat Joe Hart in the 15th minute, but Javi Garcia scored on his debut for City by heading in a cross from Carlos Tevez to level the match in the 35th.
Garcia then almost scored a last-minute winner but Begovic pushed his header from a corner onto the post and Shawcross chased back after Edin Dzeko lobbed the goalkeeper in injury time.
Stoke brought on former England striker Michael Owen for his debut in the last minute but it was too late for him to make an impression.
Garcia was one of three debutants in the visitors' side along with Maicon and Scott Sinclair, while Steven Nzonzi made his first appearance for Stoke and Charlie Adam his first start.
Stoke went ahead in contentious circumstances when Crouch, with his back to goal, benefited from a touch with the hand as he controlled a cross from Jon Walters and turned Joleon Lescott.
He then enjoyed another slice of luck as the ball took a ricochet off Garcia but he still showed nimble footwork to tuck the ball away.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister