Man dies while climbing at Zion National Park
ZION NATIONAL PARK, Utah (AP) — Zion National Park officials say a 49-year-old man has died after falling more than 40 feet on a popular climbing route.
Park officials say Lyle Dale Hurd III, of Santa Clara, died Friday as he and three other people were climbing the Northeast Buttress route, which is below Angels Landing.
Officials say the group was climbing in pairs and Hurd fell while pulling out a piece of his gear. They say that although he was an experienced climber, it was Hurd's first time on that route.
His death is the second in the park this year, and seventh since 1983.
Park superintendent Jock Whitworth called the death "very sad."
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 11552Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10742OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6888Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5464Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5395Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4853Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4694OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins