Oklahoma City police officer fatally shoots armed man after fight in street
An Oklahoma City police officer shot a man involved in a domestic disturbance Tuesday in northwest Oklahoma City.
An officer responding to a domestic disturbance call on Tuesday morning found himself in a life-or-death struggle with an armed man at the corner of Cashion Place and Youngs Boulevard in northwest Oklahoma City.
Videoview all videos
Dec 18An Oklahoma City police officer shot a man involved in a...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Police Capt. Dexter Nelson said officer Anthony Franklin, of the Will Rogers division of the Oklahoma City Police Department, responded to the call after 8:30 a.m. in the 2100 block of NW 32.
Authorities said a woman had called 911 saying a man she knew was trying to break into her home. She said the man had stolen something from her before.
Nelson said that Franklin attempted to speak with the man, who was carrying a stolen semi-automatic handgun, but the two got into a physical altercation.
The officer and man fought in the street, resulting in the man losing his shoes and jacket, before the officer fatally shot him, Nelson said.
The name of the man was not released.
Police said a witness got out of his car to help right as the officer fired his weapon.
Franklin was treated for scrapes and bruises from the fight and was released. Under police policy, he will not be questioned for 48 hours to give him a chance to seek counseling. Franklin was placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
The death is Oklahoma City's 97th homicide of 2012.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in