Share “Man injured in house explosion dies”

Man injured in house explosion dies

A Ponca City, OK, man whose house exploded on Wednesday died in a hospital on Thursday.
BY SHEILA STOGSDILL sheilastogsdill@sbcglobal.net Published: October 28, 2011
Advertisement

A Ponca City man whose house exploded after he mistakenly turned on a gas valve died Thursday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Robert Silvy, 84, was pulled from beneath the rubble of his home Wednesday afternoon by three passing motorists. He was taken to a Ponca City hospital and later flown to a Via Christi Hospital in Wichita, Kan.

Brandon Mason, one of the passing motorists, told The Ponca City News he could see a man trapped beneath collapsed portions of the burning home.

“I lifted up a section of the roof and tried to pull him out, but he was stuck,” Mason said.

“We had a hard time trying to grab him,” said Lindel Senseman, another motorist who aided in the rescue along with Mark Rau. “I saw a boy spraying a garden hose on the fire and told him ‘spray us' and then put my jacket over the man.”

David VanBuskirk, Ponca City fire marshal, told the Ponca City newspaper that Silvy mistakenly turned on a valve to a gas line running into the kitchen rather than a wall heater. The kitchen line was uncapped and may have been previously hooked up to an oven or a stove, he said.

Continue reading this story on the...

NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.

AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Tulsa man pleads guilty to murder for setting house fire that killed 5-year-old
  2. 2
    Police find hatchet, protective gear in house where Bever family members were slain
  3. 3
    Oklahoma City police: Two arrested after woman sexually assaulted in work freezer
  4. 4
    OU football fans among Top 10 ... in grammar
  5. 5
    Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in girlfriend's 1983 death
+ show more

FEATURED JOBS



× Trending news Article