Man killed by Midwest City police identified
A man was fatally shot by a Midwest City police officer Monday. The man had a machete and a pellet gun that looked like a high-powered rifle, police say.
MIDWEST CITY — Police Chief Brandon Clabes has released the names of a man shot and killed Monday and the officer who shot him.
Bryan Don Scott, 42, was killed by police officer Jeremy Zuniga, 32, about 6:50 a.m. Monday at 609 Lions Park Place.
Police responded to a report of an explosion and found Scott outside of a detached garage suffering from burns to the upper part of his body. He was shirtless and armed with a machete and camouflaged rifle equipped with a laser sight, police reported.
The rifle actually was a pellet gun, but appeared to be a high-powered rifle, Clabes said.
The shooting was recorded by the video camera mounted on Zuniga's patrol car. Police are not releasing the video.
Scott was given permission Friday to stay temporarily in the detached garage by the homeowner. He was told to vacate the premise Sunday night, Clabes said.
A woman who lives at the house said Scott was “acting crazy” Monday and was hitting the garage with a machete.
Officer Zuniga confronted Scott on the east side of the home and ordered Scott to drop his weapons several times, Clabes said. Scott refused his commands.
At that point, Scott charged toward Zuniga, pointing the rifle at him and flailing the machete. Zuniga fired three times, striking Scott twice. Scott was dead at the scene, Clabes said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M