Man put to death in Texas for woman's 2002 slaying
The tire iron was recovered from a trash container where Swain said he had thrown it. Evidence showed he used Nixon's credit cards and gave a piece of her stolen jewelry to a friend. Nixon's blood was found on Swain's clothing in the truck, along with her car keys and garage door opener.
According to evidence and testimony at trial, Swain gathered information about women he wanted to rob and then would attack them, forcing them to inhale the anesthetic halothane and hitting them over the head with a wrench or shooting them with a stun gun.
Lance Larison, a prosecutor at Swain's trial, described Swain as "a serial killer in training."
"A girlfriend told us he kept a list in notebooks of names and license plates of girls he would follow," Larison said. "I think he was working up to something."
It's not clear if Swain knew Nixon. She managed a Longview telephone call center where Swain once worked.
One of Swain's trial lawyers, Rick Hagan, said the evidence and vivid testimony from those who say Swain robbed and attacked them hindered the defense's efforts to convince jurors to spare Swain from the death penalty.
Larson said blood evidence in the case was "consistent with a struggle" inside Nixon's home, where she lived alone.
Deborah Hancock told the Longview News-Journal she and her husband were to have dinner with Nixon that Friday night after Christmas 2002. They stopped by Nixon's house with a carry-out package when she didn't arrive to eat with them. When their knocks went unanswered, they left the food at her front door.
"I can't believe it's been 10 years," Hancock said. "She was very outgoing and very direct, fun, lively. She was just one of a kind."
Swain's execution is to be followed by two more next week in Texas.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort