Man accidentally shoots self in genitals, is arrested in Oklahoma City
The man, a felon, told police he planned to sell the gun in a convenience store parking lot. It went off accidentally as he was making sure the gun worked.
A felon was jailed after he told police he shot himself in the genitals while preparing a gun for sale.
Police were called at 9 a.m. Saturday to the emergency room at Southwest Medical Center, 4401 S Western Ave., where officers found the bleeding man.
Videoview all videos
Jul 17A felon was jailed after he told police he shot himself...
Photoview all photos
He told police he bought a gun on the street in Kansas and had planned to sell it in a convenience store parking lot near SE 44 and Shields Boulevard. On the way there, he pulled over to make sure the gun functioned properly.
The gun went off while he was in his car in a parking lot near SE 15 and Interstate 35. He panicked and drove himself to the hospital, he told police.
Police arrested the man at the hospital after he was medically cleared.
Tavares Donnell Colbert, 36, was arrested on a complaint of possession of a firearm.
Colbert is a felon with convictions including a 2003 charge for possession of a controlled and dangerous substance with intent to distribute, according to police.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 81977Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32354Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 27598Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 23828Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 15915Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 8307Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7696Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?