Man shot by officers has criminal record, Oklahoma City police say
Jerry Ray Pierce, 35, was arrested on two complaints of assault with a dangerous weapon as a result of an incident Thursday, police Capt. Dexter Nelson said. Pierce remains in serious condition, Oklahoma City police report.
A man shot by police officers Thursday in an Oklahoma City parking lot has been arrested and remains hospitalized in serious condition, police report Friday.
Videoview all videos
Oct 25The shooting occurred Thursday afternoon in the parking...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Jerry Ray Pierce, 35, was arrested on two complaints of assault with a dangerous weapon as a result of the incident, Capt. Dexter Nelson said.
Pierce has a criminal record that includes a previous armed assault on Oklahoma City police officers, Nelson said.
He said the officers who shot Pierce are 30-year police veteran and supervisor Lt. Mike Hutchcroft, and officer Tyler Bartlett, both of the Santa Fe Patrol Division. The officers have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
Police were called Thursday afternoon to check the welfare of a man walking in the middle of traffic at SW 59 and Walker Avenue, Nelson said.
After officers arrived, Pierce went into the Buy For Less Buy-Super Mercado parking lot and took an aggressive posture toward the officers. He aggressively lunged at the officers as they tried to speak to him, Nelson said.
He said Pierce extended a lock blade knife in his hand and both officers fired their weapons in self-defense. Pierce was hit multiple times and was taken to a hospital, where he remains in serious condition, Nelson said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad