Man United beats Newcastle 3-0 in Premier League
NEWCASTLE, England (AP) — Manchester United ruthlessly exploited lackluster defending by Newcastle to win 3-0 away on Sunday and move to a share of second place with rival Manchester City in the Premier League.
Jonny Evans powered home a header from Robin van Persie's corner in the eighth minute at St. James' Park before another corner, from Wayne Rooney, found an unmarked Patrice Evra in the 15th to cap an explosive start by Alex Ferguson's side.
After weathering some Newcastle pressure, United added a third through Tom Cleverley in the 71st when his long looping shot proved too much for goalkeeper Steve Harper.
"It was a great result," Ferguson said. "To come here and win 3-0 against a very powerful and aggressive Newcastle, you have to really perform.
"Today we were on top of our game. The concentration was terrific and the determination was there."
United and City have 15 points, four behind Chelsea after seven games.
A clean sheet was also welcome to United, whose injury-hit defense has been heavily criticized in recent weeks. The two opening goals came from defenders and there were strong performances by central defenders Rio Ferdinand and Evans in particular.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater