Manufacturing activity declines in Oklahoma, region, Federal Reserve says
The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City said manufacturing in the region that includes Oklahoma contracted in January, led by concerns over political stalemate in Washington.
Manufacturing continues to contract in the region that includes Oklahoma, as federal fiscal policy uncertainty continued to weigh on factory owners, the Tenth District Federal Reserve Bank said Thursday.
However, January's monthly survey said manufacturers were optimistic about future production in the next several months.
“Regional factory activity has now edged down for four straight months, as fiscal policy uncertainty continues to weigh on firms' plans,” said Chad Wilkerson, vice president and economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
“On the positive side, expectations for new orders rose quite a bit in January, but hiring and capital spending plans were only modestly positive.”
Manufacturers surveyed blamed federal lawmakers for their caution in hiring and spending plans.
“Many of our end users are not committing to contracts until they see Congress acting on spending and debt limit issues,” said one manufacturer in the bank's survey.
Another manufacturer said it remains cautious because of uncertain implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, while one with military contracts was worried about possible cuts to the Defense Department budget.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister