Many cheer Obama's new immigration policy
Hispanic activists in Oklahoma City say the new policy will open opportunities for young Latinos to obtain better employment, open businesses and create jobs. Lawmakers say the president enacted the policy to gain Hispanic vote.
Judith Huerta danced when she learned Friday that the Obama administration would stop deporting and begin granting work permits to younger illegal immigrants who came to the United States as children.
Huerta, 21, of Oklahoma City, is one those children. Her family moved from Mexico when she was 2, and the United States is the only country she's ever called home.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad