Manziel, No. 22 Texas A&M overpower Auburn 63-21
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — Johnny Manziel ran for three touchdowns and passed for two more — all in a little more than a half — and No. 22 Texas A&M beat struggling Auburn 63-21 on Saturday night.
On eight possessions led by Manziel, Texas A&M (6-2, 3-2 Southeastern Conference) scored seven touchdowns. The only non-scoring drive run by the freshman nicknamed "Johnny Football" ended with a missed 48-yard field goal by Taylor Bertolet on the final play of the first half.
Manziel was in the game for only one series in the third quarter before watching the remainder of the rout from the sideline. He completed 16 of 23 passes for 260 yards and two touchdowns and had nine carries for 90 yards and three scores.
Auburn (1-7, 0-6), which has lost five straight, is off to its worst start since going 1-7 in 1952.
The Aggies gained 671 total yards, the most ever allowed by Auburn, in their first game at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Texas A&M led 42-7 at halftime and 49-7 after Manziel's final possession.
Manziel made an impressive recovery after three interceptions in a 24-19 loss to LSU last week.
Auburn coach Gene Chizik, looking for a spark for an offense that ranked among the bottom three in the nation in total yards and points per game, tried three quarterbacks.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 64206Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14590Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8849Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6802How to help tornado victims
- 6783Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6409Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6168Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes