Markus Wakefield scores two touchdowns as Heritage Hall tops Bethany
When you're playing a familiar foe for the second time in a season, you need to reach into your bag of tricks.
Heritage Hall coach Andy Bogert went deep into his, and it's one reason the Chargers will have the chance to play for another championship.
Videoview all videos
Dec 5Heritage Hall's Markus Wakefield talks about scoring the...
Photoview all 10 photos
Junior lineman Markus Wakefield threw his first career pass â€” that turned out to be a touchdown â€” in helping Heritage Hall to a 28-14 victory against Bethany in a Class 3A semifinal Saturday night at Putnam City Stadium.
The Chargers (14-0) play Kingfisher (10-3) in the championship on Friday at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater. Heritage Hall beat the Yellowjackets 42-14 in Week 10.
Bogert said he was simply looking for another option in one of the offensive formation sets. Assistant coaches and players told him Wakefield could throw the ball.
Yes, the same Wakefield that is 6-foot-1 and 280 pounds. The same Wakefield that has been a dominant force on defense all season. Wakefield found Sterling Shepard for a 23-yard touchdown on the first drive of the game to set the tone.
â€œIt was a great play call by coach Bogert,â€ Wakefield said. â€œWe practiced it all week. I knew I just had to give Sterling a shot, and he would come down with it.â€
Bogert said Wakefield was 5-for-5 in practice on the play so he decided to roll the dice.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister