Share “McCall's Chapel School in Ada fined $21k”

McCall's Chapel School in Ada fined $21k

By Gavin Off and Ginnie Graham - Tulsa World Staff Writers Published: February 22, 2010

p /> A nurse asked that he be treated for indigestion. He died shortly thereafter.

At the time, Honeyman was at a training workshop away from the facility. When she returned about five days later, she retrained staff and reiterated the home’s emergency response policy.

Health Department officials fined McCall’s $21,645 over the man’s death because of the delay in training the staff, Honeyman said.

‘It was a tragedy’

Even when all regulations are followed, deaths at such facilities do occur.

On June 4, 27-year-old Lisa Jackson fell in her bathtub at the Country Lane Cottage in Beggs and died.

The state Medical Examiner determined the probable cause of death to be an accidental drowning from a possible seizure.

The state Health Department found no violations.

However, Jackson’s family thinks the home could have prevented it. Her mother, Frankie Monholland, said her daughter needed supervision.

Monholland was unable to care for her daughter and did not have transportation to visit her. Staffers took Jackson to visit her mother at least three times a year, said owner Scott Pilgrim.

Pilgrim said Jackson did not receive assistance since she arrived at the home four years earlier. She dressed, bathed, did her laundry and cooked for herself. She held a daily job working in the home’s cafeteria and had a boyfriend.

“It was a tragedy,” Pilgrim said.