McDonald's ousts US president after sales drop
The U.S. accounts for about a third of McDonald's total revenue, while Europe accounts for about 40 percent; the region encompassing Asia, the Middle East and Africa account for 22 percent. Thompson, who took over as CEO this summer, has also served as president of McDonald's USA.
Fields, 57, was named president of McDonald's USA in 2010 and started with the company as a crew member more than 35 years ago. McDonald's says Fields was behind major menu innovations, including the expansion of the specialty drinks menu that includes fruit-flavored "chillers" and gourmet coffees. She also revamped the Happy Meal last year to include apple slices and fewer French fries. And Fields spearheaded McDonald's decision in September to start posting calorie information on its menu boards, ahead of a new regulation that will require restaurant chains to do so.
As global chief restaurant officer, Stratton oversees operations, training and innovation. He also started as a crew member more than 40 years ago in Detroit, and previously served as chief restaurant officer for McDonald's USA. Sa Shekhem said the transition to president of McDonald's USA, which is a promotion, should be seamless.
"A change in management doesn't signal a change in strategy," she said.
McDonald's has more than 34,000 locations around the world, with about 14,000 in the U.S.
McDonald's shares slipped 57 cents to close at $84.05 Thursday, after dropping earlier in the session to a low of $83.61, its lowest level since August 2011. The stock traded as high as $102.22 in January, and is down 16 percent since the start of the year.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister