McIlroy calls off engagement to Wozniacki

Published on NewsOK Modified: May 21, 2014 at 6:46 am •  Published: May 21, 2014
Advertisement
;

VIRGINIA WATER, England (AP) — Only a few days after sending out wedding invitations, golfer Rory McIlroy broke off his engagement to Danish tennis player Caroline Wozniacki on Wednesday.

Uncomfortable and subdued, the two-time major winner spoke about the decision ahead of the BMW PGA Championship, only a few hours after first announcing the split in a statement.

"It is quite a difficult time for Caroline and myself, and the statement really said it all this morning," McIlroy said at Wentworth. "It was mutual and we both thought it was the best for us, the best for both of us. Time to move on, and I've said all that I need to say."

The 25-year-old McIlroy and 23-year-old Wozniacki have been dating since 2011. They were engaged on New Year's Eve in Australia.

The decision to call off the wedding came as surprise to many, especially since McIlroy had only recently spoke of his delight in meeting up with Wozniacki in London after competing in the Players Championship a couple of weeks ago. Wozniacki had been due to compete in an event in Rome but withdrew to meet up with him.

"Look, I'm no different than anyone else," the Northern Irishman said. "Everyone has been through breakups, and it's obviously very, very difficult. But look, I'm here to try and concentrate on this week and answer questions about golf, and that's what I'm going to do."

Both McIlroy and Wozniacki have been the top-ranked player in their respective sports, but Wozniacki has not won a major title. McIlroy won his first major at the 2011 U.S. Open, and then added another a year later at the U.S. PGA Championship.