Melba's Swap Shop: A Christmas party invitation
Melba's Swap Shop: Dec. 19
1 pound chopped dates
1 small jar candied cherries
1 small jar candied pineapple
• Combine all ingredients and drop by teaspoon on cookie sheet. Bake in 275-degree oven 25 minutes.
— CHRISTINE WILLHITE HACKETT, Oklahoma City
DEAR MELBA: Remember Aunt Susan? I found one of her cookbooks while going through some of my mom's things. Printed in 1939, I must say, it's still in good shape. It's yours now.
— JANE WILSON, Weatherford
Jane sent me the book. The cover says, “Souvenir of the Ninth Annual Oklahoman — Times — WKY Cooking School,” conducted by Aunt Susan. I immediately sat down to read it, and found more than one recipe that appealed to me.
However, remember Anna Maude's Cafeteria? This book has Anna Maude's Eggnog Pie recipe, which would be a great pie for Christmas dinner.
ANNA MAUDE'S EGGNOG PIE
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm water
1 envelope plain gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons rum flavoring
Baked 9-inch pie shell
• Combine beaten egg yolks, 1/2-cup sugar, salt and warm water, stirring constantly, and cook until mixture coats the spoon.
• Soften gelatin in cold water and gradually add to hot custard, stirring until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
• When custard mixture starts to congeal, fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites which have been blended with 1/2-cup sugar, nutmeg and rum flavoring. Pour mixture into pie shell and chill until firm. Spread with layer of whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg before serving, if you like, or it may be served without cream.
DEAR MELBA: I couldn't resist taking this off a Facebook note someone had posted: What do you call Santa's elves? Subordinate clauses.
— KAYE MERRIAM, Oklahoma City
If you have a problem other readers might help solve or an idea you'd like to share, write to Melba's Swap Shop, Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Please include your name and address.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 13110Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12605OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11229Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10063Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7965Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5849Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5300Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers