Melba's “Swap Shop” for Nov. 28, 2012
Melba swaps a recipe telling about how ‘Amish Bread is made easy'
If I'm adding craisins, walnuts, etc., I mix those extra ingredients into the dry ingredients.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large box vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
1 cup golden raisins, craisins, currants, dried cherries or chopped dates — (be creative)
1 1/2 cups starter
2/3 cup corn or other oil
3 eggs (I only use jumbo eggs)
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
Heat oven to 350-degrees. Grease 2 regular-size loaf pans or 6 one-pound loaf pans; sprinkle with a mixture of 1-cup sugar and 4 teaspoons cinnamon. In large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients, down to and including raisins, mixing well.
In another mixing bowl, combine starter, oil, eggs, milk and vanilla. Stir to mix well. Add to dry ingredients, stirring well. Pour into prepared pans.
You also can make muffins. Just put cupcake papers in muffin tins and fill 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with the cinnamon sugar mix.
Bake regular and 1 pound loaves 45-to-55 minutes. Use toothpick or cake tester to make sure the bread is baked through. Bake muffins 25-to-35 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing.
Note: If you bake with glass pans, turn oven down 25 degrees and bake an additional 5-to-10 minutes.
— CAROLINE MEDLINGER, Oklahoma City
If you have a problem other readers might help solve or an idea you'd like to share, write to Melba's Swap Shop, Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Please include your name and address.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad