11/2 cups milk
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
11/2 cups cold milk
3 egg yolks, reserve whites
1 baked pie shell
• In large heavy skillet, combine granulated sugar, butter and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, being careful not to let it scorch.
• In medium saucepan, scald 11/2-cups milk. Add to skillet, stirring until all sugar is dissolved.
• In small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Slowly add 11/2-cups cold milk, stirring until smooth. Add to caramel mixture and cook 20 more minutes or until thick.
• In another small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick; gradually add some of hot mixture to yolks. When well mixed, stir into caramel mixture and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Cool before spreading in baked piecrust.
3 egg whites
5 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
• Heat oven to 300 degrees. Beat egg whites until stiff. Mix sugars and beat into egg whites continuing to beat until very stiff. Add vanilla, mixing well. Cover pie with Meringue and bake 20 minutes.
— AUNT SUSAN BY WAY OF MELBA
DEAR MELBA: You may want to hold your nose to read this church sign I saw in Stigler: If life stinks, we have a pew for you.
— MARY LEE COLWELL, Wilburton
DEAR MELBA: I saw this sign in front of a church: Read the Bible. It's user friendly, plus we offer tech support here on Sundays at 10:30.
— CAROL FORD, Midwest City
DEAR MELBA: Another church sign: There are some questions that can't be answered by Google.
— KATE MACKEY LAY,
DEAR MELBA: One more church sign: Free trip to Heaven; details inside.
— SANDY KILLIAN, Oklahoma City
If you have a problem other readers might help solve or an idea you'd like to share, write to Melba's Swap Shop, Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Please include your name and address.