It's still ice cream time
DEAR READERS: Someone said it was fall, but it must not make any difference. I'm still telling you about judging homemade ice cream. The Dairy Max Ice Cream contest was at the State Fair, and I was joined by Mike Dain, Clear Channel radio for Oklahoma AgriNet; Ron Hays, Radio Oklahoma Network and KWTV; Kirby Smith, Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry, and Jeff George, weatherman, KAUT-FOX 25.
With three categories, we chose Hawaiian Dream Ice Cream for first place in the fruit category. After we were finished, the people were invited to choose their favorites, and they also chose Hawaiian Dream Ice Cream as their overall favorite.
The winner is Mary Neal, of Blanchard.
Hawaiian Dream Ice Cream
3 cups sugar
3 cups whipping cream
• In large bowl, mash bananas, squeeze juice from lemons and oranges. Stir in sugar and whipping cream.
• Freeze by freezer directions. Makes one gallon.
In the Vanilla Category, Martha Buehring, of Norman, won first with Vanilla Custard Ice Cream.
Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
• In large saucepan, heat milk to 175 degrees. Stir in sugar, salt and flour, whisking until it begins to thicken.
• In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return mixture to the pan, whisking constantly.
• Cook, stirring, over low heat until mixture reaches 160 degrees and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Continue reading this story on the...