2 cups desire to cook
1 cup love, filled to overflowing
1 cup creative ability
1 tablespoon originality
1 tablespoon spice for life
Dash of imagination
• Blend well and place in a sunny cheery kitchen not any warmer than 70 degrees. This makes for a lifetime of surprises and good eating.
Sandy Killian, Oklahoma City
DEAR READERS: Please share your recipes for favorite family Christmas beverages.
Also, a reader asked for a recipe for Mystery Fruitcake. I searched but could not find one. Perhaps one of you can help. In the meantime, this is a good fruitcake, too.
TEXAS FRUIT CAKE
1 pound pecan meats
2 or 3 ounces lemon extract, to taste
1 pound candied cherries
1 pound candied pineapple
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 pound butter or margarine
3 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
• Soak pecan meats in lemon extract overnight in tightly closed plastic container. Do not use metal.
• In large bowl, dust cherries and pineapple with 1-cup of the flour. Add pecans and mix well.
• Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease 4 loaf pans and dust with flour. In large bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, mixing well.
• Sift together remaining flour and baking powder. Add to sugar-egg mixture. Stir into fruit-nut mixture, working from the bottom up until fruit-nut mix is well distributed. (You may have to use your hands.) Divide into prepared pans and bake in middle of oven 2 1/2-to-3 hours or until tester comes out clean. Do not let edges burn. Allow to cool 30 minutes before removing cakes to racks. They will be better after about a week. Or, when completely cool, they can be wrapped and frozen.
DEAR MELBA: I hope you can tell readers about our Holiday Shopping Extravaganza that will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, at Waterloo Church of the Nazarene, 457 W. Waterloo Road in Edmond.
Doris Beecham, Edmond
If you have a problem other readers might help solve or an idea you'd like to share, email email@example.com or write to Melba's Swap Shop, Box 25125, Oklahoma City, OK 73125. Please include your name and address.